Hey, I’m JP aka “Junior” aka “Uncle JP” and I’ve been in the sport of weightlifting for over 20 years and competed on a National level as both a junior and senior athlete. On this site I dive into the elements of Olympic Style Weightlifting that don’t revolve around technique for the snatch and clean and jerk. There are now millions of coaches, prophets, and online gurus who do that. I speak to lifters and coaches who love the sport and want insight on the more nuanced aspects of lifting like competition management (counting cards, selecting attempts etc.), mental preparation, and lesser known rules that those with experience somehow just know.
As important as technique and programming are I enjoy teaching, sharing a good story and writing about this “other stuff.” Access to great lifters, coaches and friends has provided some unique insights and experiences that I hope will be helpful to you.
If you must know more, here are 5 things about me…
- I competed from the ages of 16 – 29. I made about half the lifts I attempted in competition. My best were 128kg snatch/ 168kg c&j as a 94kg lifter. (That’s 3 things, sorry.)
- Junior was a nickname given to me by Nik Curry who introduced me to Weightlifting. I tell people he gave it to me because I was the only junior lifter at Lost Battalion Hall at the time. He tells people it was because I’m an Italian from Queens and he thought it was funny.
- I don’t know when people started calling me Uncle JP, but I think it was Mike Graber circa 2011.
- I was once ejected from the Empire State Games…for coaching.
- I didn’t want to become a USAW referee because I hated how strict the officiating was. I changed my mind after the USAW started charging admission for entry into competitions. Wearing a tie in exchange for great seats and some kind of involvement is worth it! They even feed us now.
Enjoy the banter by subscribing to my blog. For now all that means is a weekly update sent to your inbox with the latest installment of my ramblings. Hope you enjoy and feel free to get in touch anytime with feedback or possible topics at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow me on twitter @jpnicoletta and on facebook https://www.facebook.com/WLMindset/.